One of the biggest challenges with a low carb diet is finding no carb snacks to take the edge off your hunger between meals.In the US, most snack foods are loaded with carbohydrates because of the sugar and high fructose corn syrup they add or the fact that they are made with processed flours.This makes finding no carb snacks off the shelf very difficult.As I have said before, foods with no carbs are predominately found in the meat and oil sections of the USDA food pyramid.So this is where we will look for our snack foods.
Ham, bacon , and other pork products are all listed as zero carb foods.A little creativity can allow you to make different snacks every day.For example, fry up a few pieces of bacon in the morning and put them in a zip lock bag.When you start getting the need to feed, munch on a back strip.The meat and fat will help curb your appetite and the crunchiness will give your mouth something to do.Often times it is the physical action of eating that is more satisfying than the actual food.You can also take pre-cooked ham and dice it up into cubes.Ham seems to be a good filler for me even though I don’t get the crunch like from bacon.
List Of Zero Carb Snacks
- Jerky – both beef or turkey – Just be careful of the sodium content if you are limiting salt and check to see if it was cured with sugar.
- Dried Meats – This is like jerky except a food dehydrator is used instead of smoke. I have found great dried meats at Native American Pow Wows. This was the basis for their ancestors ultimate travel food Pemmican
- Hard Boiled Egg
- Scrambled Egg – This is good if you can cook your snack. Add some of your favorite spices to help curb your appetite
- Sugar Free Jello Cup
- Alfalfa sprouts and tuna – you can add real Mayo if you desire
- Pork Chop
- Corn beef – two slices with cheddar cheese as filler without bread still makes a good sandwich.
- Anchovy canned in oil
- Fried Cat Fish pieces without breading
- Tuna salad with real mayo – be sure there is not sugars added
- Smoked Salmon pieces
- Sardines – canned in oil and drained
- Lean ham cubes
- Sandwich made with any of these fillers and using Romain Lettuce leaves in place of bread. This can be a little messy and the lettuce has a trace of carbs but it is really a great substitute if you are craving a sandwich.
- Pickled, Green, medium olives – 5 have just a trace
- Hamburger patty – spread with mustard or use one of your other favorite spices. Don’t use ketchup
- Pastrami and low fat Swiss Cheese
- Smoke flavored cheddar cheese slices. Cheese can get real boring if it isn’t flavored. Also, don’t go overboard with this or else constipation could be in your future.
- Sliced Provolone cheese
- Chicken breast – I eat this a lot and it can really be portable. Just don’t bread it before cooking.
- Chicken thigh or leg – again no breading
- Chopped hard boiled egg with crumbled hamburger – add taco seasoning for a real treat
- Pepperoni slices – 14 slices are zero carbs
- Jalapeno – one pepper has only a trace. If you can stand the heat, this really knocks out my hunger pangs.
- Dill Pickles – one spear has just a trace and you can wrap a ham slice or roast beef slice around it for an easy to eat no carb snack.
- Bacon – cook it crispy if you really need a crunchy snack.
- Canadian Bacon – lay a slice on a hard fried egg and then top with a slice of cheese.
- Pork Link Sausage – check the package to be sure no fillers have been added which would increase the carb count.
- Pork Rinds – These are another crunchy no carb snack. I like the spicy ones as they keep me feeling full longer.
- Radishes – 5 fresh, raw radishes have only a trace of carbs
- Salami – traditional should have basically no carbs but be sure to check package in case they have added sweeteners or fillers.
- Sausage – cook this like meat balls for an easy to carry and eat no carb snack.
- Bouillon Cube – one or two of these in a cup of hot water are great on a cold day for a hot low carb snack. Each cube has just a trace.
- Cheese Spread – cream cheese base
- Liverwurst Spread – This is an acquired taste but a lot of people really like it.
- Tomato Slice – Eating a tomato will add about 3 carbs but a slice will have only a trace amount.
- Turkey – I eat a lot of sliced turkey. It is good in omelets as well as for lunch and dinner.
- Ground Turkey patty – cooks like beef hamburger
- (More to come so check back – if you have a favorite then let me know and I will add it to the list and give you credit)
Low Carb Chips
When looking for foods without carbs be sure to stay away from potato chips.According to the package 15 chips equal 22 grams of carbohydrates.That is more than one carb for every chip.If you are serious about losing weight with a no carb diet or a low carb diet these are definitely not to be on the menu.
Beef can be on the menu though and there are a number of ways it can be prepared.I like to cook up some steaks or filets or a roast and then slice it into little fingers.These are easy to carry around and eat and they will stay in the refrigerator for several days.In the morning make up a baggie with some beef strips and a few one cubes of cheddar cheese or muenster cheese and you have a great no carb snack that is very portable.If you want a dip to go along with this take a container of yellow prepared mustard or some real mayonnaise.Do not use ketchup.Ketchup has sugar added to the already fairly high carb count tomatoes.
No Carb Snacks
The key to developing your no carb recipes for snacks is to stay away from what we usually find in fast food restaurants.If you notice most fast food menus are big on bread and grain products.We need to stay away from these as they are always high carb foods.For example, one slice of white bread is about 12 grams of carbs.If you are realistically trying to limit your diet to 40 grams of carbs a day you can only eat about three and a half slices of cheap white bread and you are at your limit.This is not a very effective snack food for weight loss.
Some ethnic foods can also be very high in carbohydrates and you need to be careful.Mexican food for example is loaded with grams in alost every bite.A corn tortilla contains about 13 grams of carbs before you add any filler.One half cup of black beans is about 21 grams.So if you have one tortilla with a half a cup of beans your almost at your 40 gram limit if you are doing a maximum of 40 grams of carbohydrates for your low carb diet.About the only thing you can have in a Mexican restaurant is the sour cream and the steak or chicken in the fajitas.Stay away from the chips, beans, and anything wrapped in tortillas either corn or wheat.
No carb snacks are possible to make and enjoy you just have to plan ahead and watch what you do.There are very few snacks on the market that would fit into our diet so you are going to be forced to create you own.Have fun with this and experiment with creating no carb snacks you enjoy.